This week’s readings have caused me to think a great deal
about the working environment I currently inhabit, and the positive and
negative aspects of it.
Being that my current position is the beginning of my career
in communications, I understood when I took the job that I would be starting at
the bottom of the totem poll in regards to salary and stature. The Athletic Department in which I work is a
classic case of Weber’s ‘ideal bureaucracy’:
Each person is responsible for a maximum of two specific areas, there is
a set managerial hierarchy (employees, Assistant Athletic Directors, and
ultimately Athletic Director) and all employees are hired through what he
describes as ‘formal selection’. There
is a set of rules and guidelines for the entire department to follow, and they
are enforced impersonally.
There are numerous positives to this type of working
environment, especially as a young employee.
If I have a question or problem I do not feel is urgent, I can bring it
to one of my superiors (an Assistant Athletic Director) and they can either
provide a course of action or direct me to the head of the department. This allows me to gain insight as to what the
appropriate course of action should be, and can be a great learning
experience.
There is a definitive scalar chain within the department,
which allows everyone to know his or her role and determines your level of
authority within the workplace. Also,
the division of labor allows the department to really run on its own, without
micro-managing from the Athletic Director. As an employee, it is nice not to have someone
constantly looking over your shoulder to make sure you are doing all that is
required.
Here, though, is where the positives of this type of working
environment end for a young worker like myself.
Being the lowest-paid member of a department is never the
goal that an employee sets out to achieve.
As young, ambitious workers filled with initiative, the managerial
hierarchy becomes a significant obstacle on your path to achieving your
personal goals. While it is helpful to
have an experienced superior as a resource, what happens when you begin to
outperform that person and display more initiative, and are not rewarded for
it? Because the superior is entrenched
in the position, and simply does what is required, they are immovable objects:
As long as they stay in the organization, you are essentially blocked from
advancing within the department.
I do not agree with Foyel’s ‘subordination of individual
interests to the general interest’ principle, because he classifies ‘ambition’
as a negative quality. When used
correctly, ambition can yield tremendous gains within an organization, and can
take a company to new heights. Ambition
that is rewarded also yields employees who genuinely care about the
organization, and who do not become disenchanted when their outstanding
performance goes unnoticed.
That is why I feel my working environment should heed the
advice of Mr. Frederick Taylor and ‘pay the man, not the position’. A first-class worker, regardless of age,
experience or title, should be compensated accordingly, and be able to receive
the position of someone above them if they are worthy. As the department I work in is currently
constructed, there is no possible way this can happen. And as the low man in the group, this can
become disheartening, when you see your performance not being rewarded with
even a small monetary bonus.
I do not intend to paint my place of work in an extremely
negative light by any means. I have
thoroughly enjoyed my time there, and it has been a tremendous experience for
me as someone just starting out in my career.
With that being said, however, every organization can improve. I feel that if you want to keep your top
talent, you must reward them for what they bring to the table, and not ‘pay the
position’. If these things were to
change, an already enjoyable place to work would become that much better.
Nice post, Andrew. I am not sure I completely agree that 'subordination of individual interests to the general interest' is a bad thing. Perhaps it is better said that companies should promote both of these interests. Employees should understand the organization's goals and strive to achieve them. At the same time, an organization should also push its employees to better themselves and work hard for promotions. I think Fayol was just wary of those employees who are not committed to the mission of the organization, and are instead only committed to their own advancement.
ReplyDeleteYou also write about the negatives of bureaucracy. One disadvantage listed in the reading mentions worker apathy. Your post shows that a bureaucracy's rules may actually define how little an employee can do and remain secure (p. 232).
Think about what types of rewards would motivate you in your organization. We will have a whole week on rewards and motivation later in the semester.
Courtney,
DeleteThanks for the response, and I definitely agree with the points you made. The scenario you described, in which employees strive to achieve organizational goals while bettering themselves, is the only thing missing from my working environment.
That's part of the reason why I chose intrinsic/extrinsic motivation for my midterm topic. I would love the opportunity to do some extended research about what motivates employees, both on a personal and organizational level. I find the topic really interesting, because we all must shelve some of our individual goals in order to meet some of our organization's goals. That's why I think keeping employees, especially lower-level ones, motivated is such a tricky task, because when there is no light at the end of the tunnel in terms of creating a better life for yourself, it's awfully hard to stay motivated to meet the organization's goals.
I really appreciate the feedback!
Hi Andrew,
ReplyDeleteAre there opportunities to enhance the quality of work at the AD's office that have been neglected? If I look at it from Taylor's scientific perspective, there may not even be more to produce beyond more impressions. (actually, the only way to produce more games is when teams make the tournament/NIT/playoffs/BCS , right?)
I see what you are saying. One of Weber's disadvantages to bureaucracy is extreme devotion to rules ("rules by rules") - something I see nearly every day. I know lots of columnists who, by virtue of their age, not necessarily their writing skill or even their popularity, are going to stay in that position until they decide to leave. But that is seniority and newspaper or even union policy.
A buddy of mine from high school, Mike Altieri, worked as an unpaid intern for the Lakers in the 90's for five years before he made a horizontal move and left to work for the LA Kings. He realized he wasn't going to upstage John Black, the VP of PR/Communications (who is only about 7 years older than Mike. My bet is Black isn't going anywhere). He started as travel secretary and onto public/media relations and has been VP of Communications for the Kings. I know he loves basketball, but now he'll never admit it!
While the Lakers are a storied franchise and the Kings are not, I believe the Kings organization is one that is more flexible, and can make changes to its design and structure as needed. And I think even though they don't have a Cup yet, the Kings are probably Weber's favorite team.
Food for thought. I figure that story would resonate with you.
Hi Al,
ReplyDeleteThanks for the reply, and I absolutely loved the story. Any time I hear a story like that, it keeps me motivated!
In terms of there being more to produce, I actually entered a unique situation. I was basically given the task of creating an Athletic Communications Department from the ground up (And by 'ground up', I mean I couldn't post pictures to the first women's soccer story I wrote, because we had no pictures to speak of). In just over two years we have come a long way, and it's been a lot of long nights and crazy hours trying to build it the way I wanted to.
So my production hasn't been just about games or impressions. I set up all the social media and created a social media plan for the department, I oversaw the department's website redesign, and I cut the costs of our team's media guides by 90%. But because of the current structure, and lack of financial resources, I have not been able to advance. My production (albeit merely taking advantage of a blank slate) has outweighed my coworkers. And when you work the hardest and get paid the least, that can get a little disheartening (I'm sure everyone's been there at some point in their career).
That's why I didn't agree with Foyel's negative views towards ambition, because right now ambition is all I've got. It allows me to meet organizational goals, while bettering myself in the process. I have learned to become a self-motivated individual, which I think makes our organization better.
Really appreciate the feedback, and it's awesome you have a friend that works for a pro team! That is my ultimate dream job, and the reason why I'm in this program.
Andrew
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteHi Andrew,
ReplyDeleteThank you for this great, thought provoking post. It really helped me look at my company differently.
I don't necessarily think Fayol was saying that ambition is a bad thing. Fayol seemed to be a team player (Wren & Bedeian, p.213). He valued ability, intelligence, initiative, loyalty, tact and dignity (Wren & Bedeian p.215). The three "fathers" Taylor, Weber and Fayol, were structural thinkers, meaning that they focused more on process and an end result than on the people that created that result. However, I found Fayol to be the humanitarian of the bunch. Take a look at his fourteen principals and the descriptions of those on pages 217 - 218 and the Gangplank on page 220 in the Wren & Bedeian reading. "Equity, as envisioned by Fayol, results from a combination of kindliness and justice." (Wren & Bedeian, p. 220).
What I hear you saying is that no matter how hard you work, no matter what great things you bring to the table, you feel stuck in your position because there's nowhere for you to go. This is not true! There may not be anywhere right now, but trust me, there will be. I've been in many organizations at many levels. There is always room for growth and movement. People move on, new positions are created, especially if the company is growing. Most importantly, you are gaining invaluable experience so you, yourself, can move on and up someday, if you choose.
Try not to focus about the negative aspects of the management structure at your job. Try, instead, to focus on the opportunity you have to do things differently when you're in a position of authority. I was intrigued by your comment on my post. I very much appreciate you asking for my advice. However, I, too, am a subordinate. My boss is a subordinate, as well. Managers and Directors report to Vice Presidents and Senior Vice Presidents. They report to Presidents. These folks report to "C" level execs. The Cs reports to a board of directors, the board of directors is held responsible by stock holders. Subordinate is not a bad word. It simply someone else is responsible for you and your performance. Chances are someone else is responsible for them and so on.
It is because of this trickle-down effect a scalar model is utilized. Now as you read in my post, I'm not a huge fan of a strict chain of command process. I believe there can be a middle ground - a combination of collaborative, democratic relationship with superiors and subordinates combined with a structural, scalar model. The trick is to find it...or make it happen yourself.
Lisa,
ReplyDeleteI really appreciate the response, and all the insight. Great to be able to speak like this with people!
I understand what you mean about all people being subordinates in some way, and about Fayol's comments in regards to ambition. I took the quote from the readings very literally, which is why it was such a point of contention for me.
So I thank you for helping me see the other side of it.
Your thoughts on changing organizations to achieve personal growth really made a lot of sense to me. Growth isn't just limited to your current place of employment, and that's something I'm happy I am starting to realize, thanks to your advice. I sincerely appreciate the kind words of wisdom!
Andrew,
ReplyDeleteWelcome to the world of communications. I can relate to your post on several levels, including starting low on the totem pole. Let em first offer some encouragement, there is always an opportunity for movement. I have learned from several mentors that you have to see the roadblocks and plan carefully how to jump over them. i am sure there are places within your department that you can move forward. The scalar chain or Weber's 'ideal bureaucracy' is never more apparent than in federal government, and it was there that I found strategic ways to move around those obstacles to move up.
I loved your reference, "Mr. Frederick Taylor and ‘pay the man, not the position’. A first-class worker, regardless of age, experience or title, should be compensated accordingly, and be able to receive the position of someone above them if they are worthy." That is so true but often overlooked. I am dealing with that now. A senior director was so adamant about the budget rules, they did not take into account my years of experience, work ethic when setting the pay scale for the job they begged me to consider. it has been a daily battle to not be underused and underpaid.
Thanks for sharing your personal journey as it related to week one's readings.
~LaVenia