Saturday, January 28, 2012

Chain of Command and Communication

I work for a very young company. As exciting as it is to be on the ground floor of something potentially great, it's not without challenges. Some challenges arise from pure process and technical procedure. However, other challenges relate to the principals of management.

I work with bright but young team of managers. When I say young, I'm not necessarily referring to age but more to experience. They follow the scalar chain method of a strict reporting structure. Communication should only be with one's direct supervisor who will, in turn, relay one's thoughts up to their superiors and so on. This creates a feeling of unease amongst employees and and "us vs them" mentality, as indirect communication may lead to miscommunication and a feeling of separation amongst the ranks.

Although I do understand the justification for the classic administration school of management and a scalar scale in the workplace and the need for a clear chain of command, I do not see how the effect of communication isolation it can have as the most effective way to motivate employees, raise morale or increase productivity. I more agree with Mary Parker Follett's collabortive theory. Whereas, the adaptation of democracy and a holistic approach to an organization to create a healthier more productive workforce.

This is not to say that rules and reporting structures are not valuable, and I do agree with Weber and Fayol's methods and principles in that there should be an impersonal element in management. The focus should be on the organization and its efficiency not on personalities.  However, organizations are made up of individuals with thoughts and ideas, and by nature cannot be completely imprersonal.  In order to maintain a productive organization, an element of democracy should be introduced. Mary Parker Follett's concept of "power with" rather than "power over" demonstrates a collaborative approach to management.

In my current organization, I recognize more of Weber and Fayol's management techniques. Not that these techniques are ineffective. As I stated, structure and hierarchy are necessary. However, more open lines of communication, employee engagement and manager/subordinate collaboration, in my opinion, would lead to a more motivated and productive work environment, thereby, leading to a stronger, more successful company.

5 comments:

  1. Interesting post, Lisa. Although it is often overlooked, the management theories presented this week did not completely ignore the human element. Taylor wrote, "no system of management, however good, should be applied in a wooden way" (p. 152). Equity was also a central component in Fayol's theory, and he stressed the importance of manager/subordinate relationships. How would you change the 'us vs them' sentiment in your company?

    You mention that hierarchy is necessary in organizations, but as we will find in a couple weeks, there are now many different organizational structures that can be implemented. Some, like the horizontal structure, virtually eliminate hierarchy. You can start thinking about what type of structure would best match your current organization.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lisa,

    I found this post really interesting, because we are kind of on opposite sides of the dynamic at this point. I am currently a subordinate, and you are working with them in more of a managerial role.

    I definitely get a sense of the 'us vs. them' mentality in my current working environment, and I kind of touched on that in my post for this week. When you don't feel your voice is being heard, or your contributions are being recognized, it can be a pretty disheartening thing. It's something that the hierarchy makes all too common, and I think it can drastically change an employee's motivation and loyalty.

    As someone who is on the other side of it, would you have any advice for a subordinate like myself? I try to think for myself and make my own decisions as much as I possibly can before I go to a superior, because I would strongly prefer to not have my hand held. But at the same time, when are you overstepping your bounds? It's a tricky situation for a young professional trying to move up in the world.

    Loved the post, and hopefully you can give me some valuable advice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lisa,

    Thanks for sharing your experience. I found Fayol’s theory to be the most appealing theorist since he really understood the importance that management and employee relations had on employee output and organizational success. He felt so strongly about finding ways to train more managers that he developed the “principles of management” among which the “scalar chain” is found. He drew from his management experience to develop the principles that he felt were most useful to him and this is why when he introduced the scalar chain, he also included the “gang plank” to avoid frustration and delays and encourage lateral communication.

    A good option that I have seen as effective in increasing collaboration and countering the “us vs. them” mentality is to have manager share information with subordinates as soon as they get it. An intranet or wiki at work is a good way for managers to immediately share information with a young team. Also, establishing a way for them to understand the culture of the organization (if a scalar chain is used) and having them help the manager find ways to communicate knowing the restrictions in place should help. If employees are part of finding a solution, they might find innovative ways to break the barriers and create more harmony in their unit.

    Adriana

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Lisa. We have this problem at my office as well. Better top-down communication (town hall meetings), a new employee intranet and required monthly department meetings have helped alleviate the problem, though. They still exist, but it's much better.

    Having hierarchy, like you say, is necessary, but I think some managers take it a little too far and end up isolating their employees.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Everyone, thanks so much for the thoughtful and insightful replies! Seems I'm not alone. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.