With this week’s readings dealing primarily with managing
teams and the team dynamic, I decided to interview a former CPA with over 25
years of experience in management positions to get his thoughts on his
experiences in dealing with teams of workers.
Since this person is not retired and still working in a lesser role in
his current organization, I have removed his name for privacy purposes and have
designated his comments with an ‘XX’.
AM: Thank you very
much for taking the time to speak with me, XX.
I just have a few short questions for you regarding the team dynamic,
and how to effectively manage it in an organization. First, one of our readings for this week
states young managers make the mistake of ‘managing the individual vs. managing
the team’, and go as far as to attempt to solve team-related problems by
talking to each individual rather then the group (Hill, page 2). Is this
something you struggled with as a young manager?
XX: Definitely. When you are first put in a management
position, it’s only human nature for you to want everyone to like you. That will cause you to try to appeal to every
member of your team in some way, so they can relate to you. When I started, I thought this would be the
best way to get everyone rowing in the same direction, but it wasn’t. It’s important to understand each individual
as a person, but you must take that information and use it to manage the entire
group. Understand how those attributes
affect the group, and use that to create a better team environment. That’s what worked for me.
AM: The same article
outlines three criteria for evaluating the effectiveness of a team: Its output, contribution to personal
well-being and development of its members, and how much it enhances the
capabilities of its members to work together in the future (page 3). Which of these do you think is the most
important aspect of a team’s effectiveness, based on your experiences?
XX: Well, obviously a
team’s output is the bottom line, so your group is always going to be judged on
that. Based on my experiences, there was
never really much talk about how whether or not the group made its members
better as people. It was strictly more
of a work-related thing: You had to work
together because you were coworkers, so as long as the job got done in time,
everyone was happy. Looking back on it,
we probably could have gotten better results in certain cases if we had taken
areas such as personal development into account. But unfortunately, when you are so concerned
with the bottom line and meeting the goal, it doesn’t really yield too much
time for that. So, I’d have to
regrettably say that the team’s output was the most important measuring stick.
AM: Being a manager,
did you welcome criticism and feedback on the direction of the group or the
organization as a whole from the team members you managed? Do you feel welcoming that feedback made the
employees more engaged? And how do you
think their level of engagement based on how much you allowed feedback
contribute to the direction of the team?
XX: I always welcomed
constructive feedback. I always thought
it was important for people to know I genuinely took their opinions and
concerns into consideration, because it motivated them to keep the ideas
coming. Every once in a while I would
bend on something or change something they had suggested, just so they knew I
was sincere when I listened. This caused
our workers to spend time talking as a team, discussing the current issues of
the day when they didn’t have to. They
bonded over it on numerous occasions, which led to a stronger team. As a manager, I think it’s important to let
everyone know you care about what they have to say, and while you’re the guy in
charge and have the final say, it’s not a dictatorship. This is the easiest way to have people relate
to you.
AM: What types of
teams did you manage? The aforementioned
reading outlines teams that resemble a baseball team, football team, or
mixed-doubles tennis team (p. 5). Which
one would best describe your teams, and how do you think that dynamic made your
teams fare in terms of productivity?
XX: I would have to
say the majority of teams I supervised would be like a baseball team. They all had their individual responsibilities,
which in turn helped them form a team to reach the common goal. It worked for the type of work we were doing,
but it might not have worked in other lines of work. I think that requires a lot of accountability
on the part of the individuals, and it’s tougher to manage because you really
have to make sure each individual is doing what they’re supposed to be
doing. It can lead to micro-managing,
which is something I never liked to do.
It’s one of the main drawbacks, in my opinion, to that type of team.
AM: Lastly, how often
did you have to adapt your teams in terms of their policies, in order to keep
productivity up?
XX: All the
time. There are always little tweaks
that have to be made, and sometimes the people you manage won’t like them. But that’s why you are the manager, to make
the decisions that need to be made and get everyone to follow them. It takes constant communication between you
and the people you manage, and they have to be able to ask you the tough
questions if you really want them to get behind the changes. But if you can do that, and show them you
genuinely take their considerations into account, they will roll with the
punches.
References:
Hill, L. (1995). Managing Your Team. Harvard Business
School, p. 1-22.
Andrew,
ReplyDeleteYou asked very good questions to get the CPA to speak to the principles in the Hill (1995) article. Great job.
The interview provides support for the hypothesis that the nature of a team, and management, can be contingent upon the industry that the team operates in. The Hill (1995) reading recommended more collaboration than was used by XX. At first thought, I assumed this was a negative reflection upon XX's management style. But then, I thought about the nature of the industry of accounting - maybe one-on-one management style was truly the best way to manage, even though it did not encourage a shared identity (Hunds & Mortensen, 2005). In some cases, the baseball team could be the best way to manage a team.
Casey,
DeleteThis was my initial thought also. After initially doing the interview, it appeared to me that it wasn't the proper management style for XX's organization. But after thinking about it a little more, I came to the same conclusion you did. Accounting requires some team work, but a lot of the work is done individually, like a baseball team. I don't think there's really any way to get around being able to manage the individual in relation to the team, because so much of the work is done on an individual basis. So I think, for the particular field XX was in, it was appropriate. That's not to say, however, that it would be appropriate everywhere. I think there's several fields in which it doesn't work - advertising being one of them. That area is much more team-oriented, so managing the individuals could really backfire there.
Thanks for the response!
Hey Andrew. Interesting to see XX's view of himself as a new manager vs. what he knows about managing a team now. I wonder how long it took him to figure out the best way to manage his team? It also sounds like his employees were very open to him about his style of management; that's amazing! He was obviously able to build trust within his department and make his employees feel like they had an opinion that mattered. Very cool.
ReplyDeleteLauren,
DeleteThat was the main thing that stuck out to me - how XX didn't even really think it was that out-of-the-ordinary for his employees to have an open dialogue with them. I thought that was great. Most of us aren't as lucky when dealing with management, so XX's workers must have genuinely appreciated that.
It goes back to one of the things I feel strongest about in relation to management - people have to be able to relate to you, to feel like their voice matters at least a little, if you want them to work to their potential for you. Showing people you genuinely care about what they have to say, and are willing to put it into practice (even if it's only once in a while) makes people want to work for you. That, to me, is the best management strategy of all. I think XX did an incredible job over the course of their career fostering an environment where people felt like they mattered, and that their opinions mattered. That's hard to do, especially in a field like accounting that is so bottom-line driven.
Thanks for the response!
Andrew, I liked your questions a lot. I thought you showed creativity, as well as expertise within team management. Your questions, at length, were spot-on. You began the interview by welcoming XX and making him feel comfortable. You continued the interview in an organic fashion and I liked how you made things easy to understand, i.e. baseball, football. It seems like XX follows a lot of the teachings we learned from earlier weeks. As a manager, XX stated that communication and adapting to oncoming problems is a must. I agree. I also liked it when he said the team is always working to meet a common goal. Well done, Andrew.
ReplyDeleteAppreciate the kind words, Thomas. I used some of my 540 focus group interviewing techniques in this one!
DeleteXX definitely utilized a lot of the same techniques we learned about this week, which was interesting because it appeared as though those decisions came very naturally to them. That's something I've found about these readings in regards to the management aspects: It's really just about understanding people, what makes them tick, and what motivates them to achieve the common goal. I don't think there's any better motivation than for an employee to know their voice matters, and that they are genuinely part of something that is valued. If you can create that type of environment, you don't need an extremely technical plan. It's a great start to achieving a harmonious team within your organization.
Appreciate the response!