Monday, March 19, 2012

Why being open-minded is the key to effective networking

As a young professional just starting out in my career, this week's topic of networking is something I found extremely beneficial.  As an employee with minimal experience in the working world, the benefits of having a strong network can be invaluable in terms of the knowledge one can gain on your path to the job of your dreams.  They can also provide you with connections that can open the doors you yourself might not be able to open at this point in your career. 

Most young professionals simply do not take the time to build their network effectively, focusing instead on their own development as a worker and merely staying employed.  This short-sighted mantra can prove damaging down the road, and can severely hinder you from gaining that next big job you're working so hard to obtain.  Not only have this week's readings renewed my continuing drive to build my network at least a little bit every day, but they have also shown me what I believe to be the most important quality one can have in this area of your professional development: being open-minded. 

It is human nature for us as individuals to gravitate to people like ourselves.  Naturally, this is where we are most comfortable, whether it's dealing with personal, or professional areas.  While this is a sound way to make yourself comfortable in your surroundings and in the people you deal with, I believe it is a closed-minded approach to developing your network.  Ibarra and Hunter (2007) discuss the three types of networks in their article, "How Leaders Create and Use Effective Networks", highlighting operational (people you need to accomplish your work), personal (kindred spirits outside your organization) and strategic (people outside your control who can aid personal advancement) networks (p. 1).  While these types of networks provide a great foundation, how can they reach their full potential if they are filled with people just like you? 

If you are surrounded by people with the same opinions, the same habits, and the same ideals, how will you ever grow as an individual, or as a professional?  Just because someone has different opinions or beliefs then you does not mean they are wrong, and that you can learn nothing from them.  Every person presents any opportunity to gain knowledge, and it is up to us to diversify our networks accordingly.  

This is something I have adamantly tried to do in building my network to this point.  For example, last week's readings on financial analysis was an area that was completely foreign to me.  It was never something I learned at any level of school, and I use none of the information in my current work.  But because I know this is an area I am weak in, I have developed contacts with people who are strong in it, and can provide me with other resources and advice on how to turn this area into a strength.  We as professionals must understand we do not know everything there is to know - there are areas where we are weak, and areas we are strong enough to the point we can impart knowledge to others in our network.  That is the only way we can truly grow, in my opinion, and reach our potential. 

Networking is about more than just developing contacts that can lead you to a better job, or increased sales.  It is an opportunity to engage in communication with people who are outside your comfort zone, and can provide a different point of view on the world that can help you to grow as an individual.  But that profound benefit of the process is only attainable if you choose to remain open-minded in your pursuit of a cohesive network.  It is something I have tried to do throughout the journey, and the results so far have been extremely positive.  

References

Ibarra, H. and Hunter, M. (2007). How Leaders Create and Use Networks. Harvard Business Review, 1-9.

6 comments:

  1. Hi Andrew,

    I enjoyed your post for this week. You pointed out the importance of building networks for young professionals who may be just starting their careers. It is vital to your potential career growth, but I would like to propose those strategic connections can also help you in the position your currently hold. I would look at your strategic network as a source of learning and knowledge. Your exposure and interaction with your strategic network ties will help you gain confidence in your skills, learn new skills, and have access to people who have traveled the path you are on now who can mentor and guide you, and help you learn some of the nuances of your field.

    This is important for veteran professionals as well. I am considerably older than you. My experience and current knowledge can never be a substitute for seeking out other professionals from which I can learn skills and get exposed to usable and unique ideas that will help me to perform my job at a higher level of success. I guess we never really stop building our networks.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David,

      I really appreciate the advice on utilizing my network in my current job. It's something I hadn't really thought of until you mentioned it, and I feel a little foolish for not having thought of it sooner. But you're right on your other point as well - we never stop building our networks. I firmly believe our professional lives are a constant quest to become the best we can possibly be, and it can be a humbling experience. But I think if we can be humble enough to seek out those who can help us in areas we are weak, we can definitely continue to grow. Those of us who know they will never stop growing are those who will succeed.

      Appreciate the response!

      Delete
  2. Andrew, what you are describing is often referred to as homophily, or the tendency to gravitate and create connections with individuals similar to ourselves. This phenomenon has been studied extensively with SNA, and has been shown to hold true under many circumstances. In your professional life, what are some strategies you have used to find diverse connections? Also, when you talk about finding experts in other fields (like finance), it reminds me of Transactive Memory Theory. Al will be doing his midterm presentation on the theory next week so that might be an interesting example to mention.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Courtney,

      I appreciate the technical knowledge you've imparted. The main strategy I have used is to evaluate myself honestly. I think it's important for me to understand where I am weak and where I am strong as a young professional, before I can seek out connections accordingly. It's important for me to be humble enough and self-aware in what my abilities are and where I fall short. I remember an example I heard (obviously about sports) in which NFL quarterback Peyton Manning makes a list of seven things he feels he needs to improve on heading into every offseason - and he is going to be a Hall of Famer. I remember thinking, "if this guy can look at himself honestly, and he's the best in his profession, I should be able to do it too." This has allowed me to pursue my connections based on where I feel I am weakest. I think it's a good place to start.

      Appreciate the response!

      Delete
  3. Andrew,

    Yes I will be doing my midterm presentation theory on TMS/TMT. Part of that theory, as Courtney raised, is finding an expert in each field of whatever the group needs to get a project done, for example.

    Open-mindedness is key, and letting it all hang out, I agree. So what next?
    Perhaps to reach outside of your connections, you look within them first to see which of them "reaches" furthest outward? Like baseball, for example. Which apparel/equipment company supplies your team? That person has their background in sales and marketing and operations, perhaps even finance. Those are some of the people who open up the network wide open.

    Just a thought; we can always share more offline.

    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Al - Thanks for the response. This is definitely something I am going to try doing in terms of reaching out to contacts in my work life. I appreciate the advice a lot.

    Andrew

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.