Monday, March 26, 2012

It was a dark and stormy night….


In Alabama, for some reason that is not understood, many major calamities and disasters occur in the late afternoon or at night.  And during my radio career, these unfortunate events always seemed to happen when I was at the station, or, trying to leave so that I would not be stranded.  Needless to say, through either bad luck or lack of proper, strategic planning on my part, I usually did, in fact, get “stuck” at the station with several other unfortunate souls.

I can recall four events that required me to stay and “watch the store,” as my senior managers and other station employees were making a mad dash to the door so they could make it to the safety and comfort of their homes and loved ones.  There were times when I felt like I did when I was a kid, and my mother would leave me at the schoolhouse door in the morning. Cold, lonely, and afraid.   When I use the terms “stuck,” or “stranded,” I am speaking of a situation that existed in which there was no hope that I would get home for at least 48 hours.  And, during that time, there was little hope of having any substantial nourishment other than what could be bought from the building’s vending machines.  There were a few cases that required us to “borrow,” (i.e. break glass)  some of these vending machine items when everyone’s available cash ran out.  And did I mention lack of sleep?  If there was any of that strange state of existence to be had, it usually occurred on a hard floor, covered with that cheap, thin office carpeting that should have been replaced several years prior.  I swear I saw a spout of wild grass coming out of that carpet one time.  But, I digress.

One of the four events that I mentioned above was the Blizzard of ’93, a.k.a. “the storm of the century,” I have mentioned this event on my personal blog on MOODLE.  Birmingham had a blizzard!  That term was very foreign to most everyone in the area, especially when related to the place where when a half-inch of snow is forecasted, schools close, churches cancel services and a month’s production run of bread and milk disappears in a couple of hours.  There never has been any empirical explanation why bread and milk are staples for southern snowstorms.  But, I  digress, again.

The real moral of the story of the Blizzard of 1993 from my own personal perspective is how a group of young men and women came together, relying on each person’s unique talents, experience, knowledge and credibility,  formed an impromptu team that accomplished something unheard of, until that weekend, in Birmingham radio history.  I consider what happened with our team, comprised of part-time and full-time on-air, news, production and administrative personnel to be the high watermark of my entire professional career.

There were two radio stations operating on the same floor, but separated by functional space.  My station was the adult-contemporary FM station, and I did the midday on-air shift weekdays and on Saturday.  The other station was our news-talk sister station.  We rarely worked together, as our facility was separated into two distinct working areas that were designed for the specific purpose of each station.  We passed each other in the elevator lobby, but that was about the extent of our collaboration.

At the beginning of the week, when we were informed of this impending “super-storm,” by our station’s partnered TV meteorologist, many on the staff said, “Yeah, right!  Whatever!”  We had seen more busted snow forecasts that busted soda bottles on the side of the road.  But by Thursday afternoon, it was becoming more apparent that this storm was actually going to happen.  The program director of the AM and myself (the assistant program director for the FM), started to make some minimum preparations.  Our Programming VP laughed at both of us when we approached him with an outline of what we thought might be appropriate staffing for the stations.  In fact,  he told us that we just wanted to have a pajama party that weekend.  We both talked to our respective staffs and asked people to volunteer to ride out the storm at the office.  By the time the stampede out the door that Friday afternoon had ended, there were 10 of us left.

The next morning, after spending the night at a hotel two building down from our office, we awoke to something that was almost too hard to even comprehend.  The official storm total for the blizzard was 13 inches.  But there were drifts all over the city that were three and four feet deep.  The city was paralyzed past the point that had ever been seen with previous snow and ice events.  As I walked up this hill to the station, I was trudging through snow that literally came up to my waist.  A walk that would normally take no more than 10 minutes, took almost an hour to accomplish.

Overnight as the blizzard had progressed, people in the area started to come to the realization that this was a disaster.  Power was out to thousands of homes, along with telephone service.  Because they had heard the weather forecasters cry wolf so many times, most people did not make preparations for an extended amount of time without power, heat and food.  During this time, there were two part-time news-talk staff members who started to take calls on the AM.  As these calls increased they realized that blizzard had resulted in a true emergency. And, even as green as these two people were, they had this innate knowledge that told them to drop programming and start putting calls on the air.
 
The calls were for assistance with a sick relative that needed power to operate a respirator.  There were calls from young families with very young children that without firewood delivered by a good Samaritan, they would have had no heat.  There were calls from people who were willing to get out in their own properly-equipped vehicles and drive in treacherous conditions to deliver medication to a diabetic.  There were even calls from owners of restaurants who were willing to go to their stores, cook food and have it delivered by the National Guard.  The types of calls that were received go on and on.  From all ages and all ethnic and socioeconomic backgrounds, there were thousands of people in need.  And there were thousands more that were willing to brave the storm and the aftermath to help out in any way they could.  In a city that has seen division and strife over the years, this was truly amazing to witness.  And even more amazing to actually have played a very small part in it all.

These calls went on for four straight days.  It was at this time the city started to defrost out from under the heavy blanket of snow.  We were stranded at the station for this entire period. We all took turns working 12-hours shifts.  We ran out of all food Sunday afternoon.  We did not even mention this fact on  the air, but by dinner time Sunday night, a National Guard vehicle had made it up the mountain to our office and delivered hot food from one of those restaurants mentioned above.  The only thing I think that all of us eventually really missed was a can of deodorant and a toothbrush and toothpaste.

Something happened with the team that had remained behind.  And I really never had an official name for it until I read this week’s assignments.  We had formed an emergent response group utilizing many of the tenants of Transactive Memory Systems (TMS).  (Majchrzak, Jarvenpaa, & Hollingshead, 2007).  Our team quickly coalesced around the news-talk program director.  This person was a veteran broadcaster, with high levels of knowledge about leading a team in for expanded coverage of a big news events.  This was an important fact because many of the members of the team left behind were from the music station (myself included). 

Relying on his knowledge, and the credibility that we all shared in him because of his reputation, those of us who were very inexperienced in the news field quickly became junior news reporters and news-talk show hosts.  We eventually decided to take the two stations and begin a simulcast, carrying the news-talk station’s content.  When we basically had one station to operate, the experts of the news talk format could concentrate their effort toward the on-air product, while other members of the team served as information gatherers and aggregators for whomever was actually on the air. 

Many of the formal boundaries established by title melted away, and reformed along lines of communication and responsibility that was very unique to the situation.  There was more of a coordinator leading the group, the person who had the credibility among all group members, to become the de facto leader.  Full and part-time members of the team shared lateral responsibilities and decision-making authority, and respect was paid to an individual’s area of strength, in regards to their contribution to the whole group.  In relation to shared responsibility, we were capable of allowing delegation, and even delegating ourselves, based on our level of expertise for the many tasks we had to complete.  We had a “shared conceptualization of who knew what in our group” (Majchrzak et al., 2007, p. 151).  We also had a “shared goal” in that we were one of the primary communication points in the city and we were not just performing any longer (Majchrzak et al., 2007, p. 151) .

We were helping out a city, and thousands of its citizens who needed help in a very difficult situation.  Our goals were not to entertain, but to assist and inform. In retrospect, we were using primary TMS  theory concepts throughout the entire process.  We knew who did what best among all of us, and used our specific knowledge of our jobs to contribute to the collective performance of our team (Majchrzak et al., 2007). 


Reference

Majchrzak, A., Jarvenpaa, S. L., & Hollingshead, A. B. (2007).  Coordinating expertise among emergent groups responding to disasters.  Organization Science, 18(1), 147-161.

10 comments:

  1. Great story, David. When a hurricane was headed for NYC this summer, stores immediately ran out of bread, milk, and canned tuna (?).

    Do you think your emergent group's TMS was strengthened by the shared identity of radio personnel? Did it help that at least some of you had worked together before? After this experience, did your organization institute an emergency training program? Would it have helped if you were trained for this type of response before the blizzard?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi David,

    I was stuck in NY during hurricane Irene city since all flights were cancelled. I was one of the people who bought all the tuna cans that Courtney mentions in her response:)

    Did you have any people in your team whose strengths were not as visible, but who rose to the challenge? In terms of emergent groups in disasters, did any other personnel left in the building (such as admin) surprise you by contributing to the "shared goal" in unexpected ways? People tend to do amazing things when confronted with new challenges...

    Thanks for sharing your story.

    Adriana

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Courtney and Adriana. Tuna?????? Now that is a new storm staple that I now may have to consider when I, myself, go to the grocery store to get my bread and milk. :)

    Courtney: I would say that TMS absolutely was strengthened by our shared identity. While our inter-organizational group may have violated some of the conditions of a "pure" emergent group as defined in the Majchrzak, Jarvenpaa, & Hollingshead paper, I still believe that there was enough divergence in our "storm team," members due to the differences of our operational purpose under normal circumstances. I think the fact that we HAD worked together before allowed some of the TMS process to develop the "new" team at a quicker pace than maybe a situation similar to New Orleans' experience. As a result of the blizzard, our senior managers did develop an emergency plan that included staffing plans and basic cross-training for employees who were designated as key personnel. And they asked the news-talk program director and myself to formulate it. I guess they thought our "pajama party," had turned out very well.

    Adriana: Your question about rising to the challenge points to an important result of our experience. Part-time personnel, who may have been overlooked in the course of normal business operations, became "stars." They were given a challenge outside of their comfort zone and exceeded expectations. I think you could say they "grew up," during the whole event. In fact, a few of our team members did such great jobs that they were elevated to full-time positions, or other stations hired them away from us for their first full-time job in the field. The situation lent itself to breaking out of the more formal boundaries, into highly responsible roles that were noticed by our management and that of the other radio groups in town. Everyone, including myself, ended up contributing to our shared goal in ways that were totally foreign to us before the event. I never thought I could act in a host role on a news-talk station. But, I did. And other members of the team had similar experiences that exposed knowledge and skills that may have never been noticed. The fact that it was an amazing experience for all of us cannot be overstated.

    Thanks for the questions!

    David

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, what a story David. Tuna or peanut butter - you've gotta have some protein in a storm! I also usually pick up supplies for chili and make a big batch.

    I'm interested in what happened after the station went back to business as usual. Were there shifts in the employee mindset to more of a team mentality or were the old hats too easy to put back on?

    Also, do you believe the group dynamic would have been different if people had been forced to stay versus volunteering? Majchrzak et al. (2007) state that communication difficulties can be made even more complex in an emergent situation. I wonder if the shared dedication and camaraderie of the volunteers helped you band together to overcome these difficulties.

    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, great story. I also have a question about what happened when the station was back to business as usual. Did you hear about anybody who wished they would have stayed instead of going home? Did the employees who stayed develop a camaraderie that was envied by your coworkers? And did you see a shift in team dynamic after that? That's a long time to be with the people you work with, and it seems like it could either make or break a newsroom.

    In Dallas, we run out of bread, bottled water and batteries (like having fresh batteries will help heat your home during an ice storm...).

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a harrowing experience! I enjoyed your post, David; I too live in a place where the mere mention of snow flurries throws the general populace into widespread panic. Sand trucks at the ready! It’s amazing how everyone jumped right in to take on roles that were outside their normal routine in the station. This seems to resemble the “action-based” model that’s described by Majchrzak, Jarvenpaa and Hollingshead (2007). This model appeared to propose that in an emergency, the possibility of mulling problems over to come to a decision is by necessity ruled out. It sounds like your team did an amazing job of keeping things running and taking care of emergencies. Did you see evidence of this action-based model?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Brenda and Lauren,

    Thanks! It was an experience in more ways than one! When our stations moved to a new building, a prerequisite for the new place was the placement of showers in the restrooms! :)

    What happened after the blizzard was interesting as well. Those of us who did stay developed deep personal friendships that exist to this day. We bonded professionally, but I think having shared that experience together allowed us to get past the restrictions that daily office life places on employees at times and relationships outside or work were allowed to flourish. Our group began to depend on each other inside the building as well. Our "go-to" connections were radically changed in the aftermath.

    I believe that the people who volunteered turned out to be part of a great scenario that played out. They had already made a commitment above and beyond their regular responsibilities. And when it became necessary to perform under the extreme conditions both inside and outside of the building, their initial buy-in made the entire process go smoothly. There was no grumbling or complaining, especially after we all started to run only on adrenalin. I would totally expect that a different outcome may have occurred if anyone had been forced to stay. We all had a commonality of purpose, both from being there in the first place and doing our best to serve the community.

    The negative aspect of this experience was the attitude change of our senior managers toward a few of us. After their cellphones went dead and they could no longer have any control of what happened, we started to do the things that were necessary depending on the situation. Decisions on the fly. Even though what we had accomplished garnered a huge amount of positive local and trade press for the stations, our senior managers were evidently unhappy with not being able to put their "stamp" on the outcome. The first few days, we received positive communication about our performance. But as we traveled farther away from the event itself, a small stream of criticism began. To this day, I do not understand this. They should be happy that we made them look like superstars. They were just jealous that the had no control and we had succeeded without them in a very significant way.

    ReplyDelete
  9. David, you are such a great story teller. I mean that in the most meaningful way. I became really enthralled with your story and I couldn't wait for the next sentence. The description of your emotions and the conditions were all very enticing. The Majchrzak et al. reading is very relevant and appropriate for your story of survival. The way you guys came together to make it through the stormy conditions rang true to Majchrzak et al. emergent response statements. I think the fact that you worked with these people made the conditions easier to swallow. How did the station come together after the storm? Did you implement a system just in case a storm strikes again?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Marissa and Thomas!

    Marissa: The whole team, and some "mini-teams" that formed for very specific tasks operated on action-based scenarios. In fact, almost every activity for the first 36 hours was a long line of continuous decisions being made at what seemed to be split-second like intervals. If anyone has been part of an emergency response team or a member of the media involved in major breaking news stories, I think you might can relate. A lot of decisions are made off of what I like to call (my term-informed instinct). Events unfold so fast that you have to do everything on the fly. What made our situation more interesting (and fun, to be honest) was the fact that the executive team members were at their homes, with dead phone lines and dead cell phone batteries. There was no input from them. I think we did a pretty decent job without them myself.

    Thomas: Our group stayed together, very tight, even extending into personal friendships. There was jealousy from our co-workers who did not stay because they were not where the action was. Which is ironic in the fact that they all wanted to get out of there so they would NOT be at the station. Those of us who were part of that team didn't gloat, brag, etc. We kept our mouths shut because we all had this understood silent satisfaction that we had been a part of something big. Our managers did institute an emergency plan. In fact I helped to formulate it. Again, another piece of irony that I chuckle about as I sit here remembering that period of time.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.