Saturday, March 31, 2012

Will the Veteran and the New Girl View Culture the Same?

While reading the materials this week, I couldn’t help but think about my own organization. I am relatively new to the organization (2 years in July) and most of my co-workers have worked for the organization for more than 10 years. I wondered how one of the long-standing employees would view the culture compared to me, since I’ve worked with one superintendent (CEO) and they have worked under several different leaders. Comparing our views of the organizational culture could show if there is consistency and consensus regarding the culture – both of which are key aspects of a strong culture according to Sorenson (2009).

Lois has served for many years in the division - first as a teacher, then a principal and she now serves as the director of elementary education. In between, she worked briefly for another school division in the area.

Using the Hofstede Model (Hofstede, 2006), I asked Lois her opinion on the organization’s culture based on the six dimensions of organizational culture. Here’s a summary of her analysis:

· Process-oriented – Employees know the goal of the organization is student achievement, but stated that our actions are pure process. We do what we’ve always done.

· Employee-oriented – There are multiple levels in which the division is employee-oriented including benefits and a focus on employee by supervisors.

· Professional – Most teachers identify with their profession – “I am a teacher” versus the organization – “I am MCPS.” Even at higher levels, people identify with their job versus the organization.

· Open systems – There is a steady rotation of new students and teachers every year and they are welcomed and easily transition into the organization.

· Loose control – Loose control with limits. For example, teachers may arrive late to school occasionally, but there is an expectation that they arrive before the students do.

· Pragmatic – Flexible until we need to be otherwise. We try to do what is best for kids. Looking at the organization as a whole, departments and schools can be very rigid towards those outside of their unit.

I largely agree with Lois’ interpretation of the culture within the organization. I have certainly faced the process-oriented behavior repeatedly. I also believe the organization is employee-oriented in that they care about the person as a whole and not just the tasks they perform as part of their job. Our biggest difference of opinion was regarding open versus closed systems. I believe that the organization is a very closed system – meshing into the established practices is very difficult.

Is the culture a strong culture? Based on the consistency of our answers, I would say yes. It is a long-standing culture that has persisted through many different leaders. The past two leaders have made attempts to change the culture, but either did long enough to effect the change or failed in execution methods. This would support Sorenson’s (2009) belief that organizations with a strong culture have difficulty changing, even when everything around them already has.

The take-away here is that the organization’s culture is so strong that it will take someone with vision and strength to break through the walls – specifically in the orientation of process and professionalism. A results-oriented system where people identify with the organization could lead to higher performance across the board (Hofstede, 2006).

References

Sorenson, J. (2009) Note on Organizational Culture, Harvard Business School, pp. 1-6

Hofstede, G. (2006). Dimensionalizing Cultures: The Hofstede Model in Context. Online Readings in Psychology and Culture. (full article)

5 comments:

  1. Brenda, do you think this culture is limited to your organization, or does it represent the industry as a whole? In other words, do you think other educational organizations would rank similarly on each item? I think we have talked about this before, but do you foresee a change in the process vs. results dimension? What impact would this have?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Though this culture may be prevalent at many educational institutions, I hesitate to say that it represents the industry as a whole. I previously worked for a school division that would rank opposite on five of the six dimensions (professional still wins out over parochial). The culture was very, very different.

    Results over process is coming...quicker than most people in my organization would like to think. I believe that once that change hits in both pay for performance and in accreditation losses we will see significant turnover in staff. This will be what it takes for the switch from process to results to happen as quickly as it needs to. Unfortunately, a lot of people have burrowed their heads in the sand believing that the shift will never happen and it will be to their detriment once the changes are fully implemented.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brenda, you share some very interesting points regarding your organizational culture, especially as it relates to the "industry" in which it exists. The educational system in my hometown is experiencing something very similar to yours.

    I'm wondering if some of the central issues that exist in your system are being influenced by the Hofstede dimensions of power distance, long-term vs. short-term orientation and even uncertainty avoidance (2006). More specifically, do you think there is a generational gap related to these dimensions? I would venture to guess that the veteran members of the system may be more resistant to make changes that will solve the problems and fully integrate junior members so that change can occur?

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. David,
    I would definitely agree with the national culture issues you bring up - power distance, orientation and uncertainty avoidance. I do not believe it's a generational issue - I see the same concerns no matter the age of the employee.

    I believe it's a nature of the organizational structure. 2,000 teachers spread over 20 schools - and each school has an individual identity. It's very easy for a classroom teacher to feel removed from the greater organizational goals.

    How does change occur? I believe that if you look at progressive school divisions you will see a very strong organizational culture whose mission and vision are strongly integrated throughout the school division from the administrative offices down to the classroom level. It is a mission that can usually be quoted by students in addition to teachers. It requires a mission that includes both the individual student and progress of the division as a whole so that ALL employees are focused on both items. It's not easy and requires significant continual two-way communication with multiple stakeholder groups.

    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do you know what the average tenure of employees is? The employees you work with who have been there for 10+ years seems like a long time! Do you think that if you work in one place too long you get jaded by the culture and start having a different attitude than newer employees?

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.