Sunday, April 8, 2012

Are you an “Engaged Workaholic”? On Marriage, Michael Clayton and Your Workplace



Are you an “Engaged Workaholic”?  On Marriage, Michael Clayton and Your Workplace

[Popular press/personal example] 


I’m not referring to workers and their marital status.  Like marriage, however, in the workplace there are joyful moments and compromises.  To begin, let’s look at one example, albeit a fictitious one.   

I’m reminded of the film Michael Clayton, where actress Tilda Swinton, plays Karen Crowder, a newly anointed legal counsel for a large multinational.  In an early scene from the film, Crowder is preparing for an interview (the scene cuts back and forth from her home and her office’s conference room interview).

_____________________________________________________________________
Interviewer: So, with all that pressure and workload, how do you keep a balance between work and life?

Karen Crowder:  Balance?
[Laughs]

Karen Crowder:  I think that's, um, that's something that you search for your whole life, isn't it? Um,
[Scene cuts to Karen getting ready]

Karen Crowder:  It's a shifting balance, really. It's, um, you know. You try to, um...
[She stops, rubs her temples, then the scene cuts again to when she's more fully dressed, looking in the mirror]

Karen Crowder:  When you really are enjoying what it is you do, who needs balance? There's your balance! There's your balance. When you're really enjoying what it is you do, there's your balance.
______________________________________________________________________

Do you feel like Karen Crowder and have that type of balance in your job? Or are you pushing through the weekend’s leftover work from last week just to stay above water? 

If you are like the latter, maybe there is hope. Karen Crowder, however, exemplifies what has been coined as an “engaged workaholic.

A recent Los Angeles Times article by Kathleen Doheny reports on research where experts point to these engaged workaholics as different from the typically categorized “workaholics” who are single-minded in their pursuit to working through breaks, lunches, dinners, weekends until their lives resemble a 70-80 hour workweek carousel, with very little in the way of balance or relaxation (mental and physical) (Doheny, 2012).

Nohria, Groysberg & Lee (2008) point to four drives people seek  (acquire, bond, comprehend and defend) as people and employees.  These same drives are what successful companies seek to provide to their employees to improve and maintain their effectiveness, productivity, high morale and strong organizational culture (Nohria et al., 2008).

But these four words can be challenging to achieve amid economic cuts and real-life workplace issues as well as personal dynamics – finding innovative ways to engage employees is a full-time job for human resource experts, especially the in-house variety (Heymann & Barrera, 2007).

Engagement, say some experts, is basically a result of how one is treated in the work environment. (Doheny, 2012)  Demands in the office, warehouse floor or other workplace fit two patterns:   great demand, but a lot of control, and great demand but very little control.  The second pattern increases stress and cardiovascular disease risk factors. The conclusion is there are unfavorable health consequences  related to an imbalance of effort and reward systems (Ryan & Deci, 200) ; Heymann & Barrera, 2007)

Doheny (2012) provides a short Likert-Scale infobox quiz, adapted from the researchers’ experiment design,that allows the reader to determine whether he or she is an engaged workaholic or a “classic” workaholic.   The results can be depressing … or illuminating, depending if you are Karen Crowder or not.


References
Heymann, J., Barrera, M. (2007) Engaging Employees in the Company's
 Profits and Their Own, Harvard Business School, 1-28
Clayton Productions LLC, (2012).  Michael Clayton.  Retrieved from
 http://m.imdb.com/title/tt0465538/quotes
Doheny, K. (2012, February 13).  When It’s All Work; Getting too wound up in your job
 can be bad for you, physically and psychologically. Unless of course you love it
that way.  Retrieved from www.latimes.com
Nohria, N., Groysberg, B.,& Lee, L. (2008) Employee Motivation:
A Powerful New Model, Harvard Business Review, 1-7
Ryan, R., & Deci, E. (2000). Intrinsic and Extrinsic Motivations: Classic
Definitions and New Directions. Contemporary Educational
Psychology, (25), 54-67.
Martin, J., & Schmidt, C. (2010). How to Keep Your Top Talent. Harvard
Business Review, 3-9.


5 comments:

  1. Al, do you think different generations view work/life balance in distinct ways? For example, Meister and Willyerd (2010) note that Millennials view work as a key part of life; they want to find work that is fulfilling and they have high expectations and high standards for themselves. I guess this generation agrees with Karen when she says, "When you really are enjoying what it is you do, who needs balance?"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Courtney,
    For the most part, I am in partial agreement with Meister and Willyerd (2010) about their assertions that Millenials view work as an integral component of their lives. More than ever, we have witnessed unprecedented economic change for employers and employees. I can understand the desire for self-fulfillment, either through a direct “road map” (p. 2, Meister & Willyerd, 2010) or path, or a type of occupational wanderlust to find the perfect job fit for themselves.

    However, as Meister and Willyerd state (p.1, 2010), “Milllienials have high expectations of their employers but also set high standards for themselves.” In my experience interviewing internship candidates, mentoring young professionals, performing evaluations and negotiating initial salaries and benefit packages, I have seen a gradual increase expectation of higher standards - not always necessarily a proportional level of performance, though. I believe some of the expectation is based on a sense of entitlement. I believe communication early and often regarding a person’s needs (or drives, as Nohria, Graysborg & Lee, 2008 note). I feel that kind of regular communication -- in the form of updates and reviews Martin &Schmidt, 2010) -- may not completely fulfill a person’s four drives, but acknowledging the person’s needs about reasonable progress in fulfillment is many times the next best alternative to keeping the high potential talent.

    There are some significant gaps in understanding between Millenials and their managers (who can be Boomers or Gen Xers), but to a large extent they can be bridged (Martin & Schmidt, 2010; Meister & Willyerd).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Al, I loved that movie. I'm even more impressed that you found a link between the flick and the reading. I think it is incredibly hard for individuals to find the perfect balance. Given the economic environment today, many people have to fight for everything they want. Nothing is certain. I personally think the baby boomers had a clouded balance. They fit into a mold where they were OK and didn't think about moving. To them, that was a balanced work and home life. Today, the majority of individuals have to take their work home in order to stay grounded within their employment. There is always someone better than you. I don't think a lot of people today are enjoying what they do. Jobs are hard to come by. I know people who have been out of Law School for two years now and can't find a job in Law. They've had to settle for jobs way below their expected means and happiness.

    However, these were my own personal opinions and I credit you for making me think! I loved your entry this week and I'm sad that I won't read your future work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thomas,

    Thanks for the reply. First off, I appreciate the words. I think this medium (class blog) was one of the most interesting pieces of the curriculum. It does allow for collegial, entertaining and illuminating work. And actually, when you posted about Cisco early on, I got so geeked up about my Flip camera that I started that reply by video, and got some supportive feedback that I wanted to keep pushing. So back at you!

    Yeah, I dug that movie. When it was on HBO, I swear I probably saw it about 20 times. It's intense, smart, suspenseful and intriguing enough to capture my curiousity and interest in that world. And though I'm a longtime West Coast guy, I've found NYC to be a city unlike any other.

    I agree with your assessment about boomers. A former agency partner is a boomer and a little too old-school in terms of progression, learning, changing in the always-changing communications field. And its surprising that they are still holding onto the reins in some cases.

    I think that is the death knell for the American worker, let alone the communication professional. Among other reasons, that's why you and I are here, right?

    I'm sure the powers that be will get us back in the fold sometime soon in a section or group in the future.

    Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. In my previous post, a correction is needed in the third graph. It should read:


    I agree with your assessment about boomers. A former agency partner of mine is a boomer and in my opinion, is a little too old-school in terms of progression/learning, updated rewards systems and structure, not really changing quickly enough (in my opinion) in the always-changing communications field. And its surprising that they are still holding onto the reins in some cases.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.