Sunday, April 8, 2012

Motivating employees in spite of budget constraints


Whenever I tell someone that I work for a state agency it inevitably comes up, even when I mention that the job is perhaps not the best fit for me, that at least there are great holidays and benefits. This is true. I don’t pay for health insurance and I get to take days like Texas Independence Day off from work. From what I’ve seen, though, this isn’t really leading to a motivated workforce. At least not in my agency; but then, I’ve only worked for the state for a couple of years.

I decided that I might get a better perspective from someone who has been working for the state a little longer that I have. So, I turned to a manager at a larger agency who has worked for the state of Texas for about 25 years. Our conversation was centered around three questions: I asked about the importance of having motivated employees, whether or not the reward systems at state agencies were set up to promote employee motivation, and what changes mangers might make to increase motivation.

In the interest of anonymity, I will call the manager I interviewed, MD; here’s what he had to say on the subject of motivation. MD agrees that motivation is an essential element to an organization’s productivity (Heymann & Barrera, 2010). MD stated his belief was, “the better the morale, the higher the production for any company” (personal communication).

However, MD also agrees with Nohira, Groysberg and Lee (2008) that motivating employees can be challenging. This is especially true at state agencies, he said, given the current economic climate (personal communication). MD explains, “Unfortunately, working for the state in these budgetary times, it is nearly impossible to reward all employees who deserve pay bonuses or pay raises” (personal communication). While he recognizes that money is not the main motivator for some employees, that “there are others that rank higher,” he clarifies that because of budget constraints imposed on state agencies it has been several years since his agency has been able to provide merit raises of any kind (personal communication).  

MD believes that this is leading to a high level of dissatisfaction in agencies, which, in turn, is negatively impacting morale. Martin & Schmidt (2010) propose that negativity felt by some employees may be due to the high, unmet expectations they hold and the fact that there are many employment opportunities available to them. It appears that this may be true for the employees at MD’s agency. In fact, MD states that within the past year, two of his top performing employees left his agency (personal communication). Both of these employees stated in their exit interviews that their main reason for leaving was because they could get a higher salary elsewhere.

With this in mind, MD says that managers at state agencies must turn to other means, such as praise for a job well done and giving recognition in front of peers, to motivate employees (personal communication). This idea is supported by Heymann & Barrera (2010) who give examples of successful organizations utilizing similar nonmonetary to motivate employees.

It’s clear that state agencies are facing many challenges. In MD’s opinion much of this comes as a result of the budget cuts and having to “[do] more with less” (personal communication). MD maintains that the issue of salaries has gone too long without being addressed and this makes it difficult to motivate employees year after year (personal communication). Still, MD believes that managers can do in spite of the limitations of the state budget. Mainly, he says, agencies need to foster better communication with employees and set realistic expectations (personal communication).

Although the suggestions of increasing transparency and managing expectations may seem obvious, I can attest that they are lacking in my own agency. From this interview, I think state agencies would do well to start by following MD’s suggestion. Perhaps this would help agencies that are limited in their ability to change reward systems to focus on other elements that promote employee satisfaction. The question is, would be enough to help agencies retain their talented employees in spite of their inability to offer competitive salaries?

References
Heymann, J., Barrera, M. (2010). Engaging employees in the company's profits and their own. Harvard Business School, 1-28.
Nohria, N., Groysberg, B., and Lee, L. (2008). Employee motivation: A powerful new model. Harvard Business Review, 1-7.
Martin, J., and Schmidt, C. (2010). How to keep your top talent. Harvard Business Review, 3-9.

7 comments:

  1. Marissa, do you think open-book management - as seen in the Great Little Box company example - could help solve this problem? Although the drive to acquire might not met during this tough time, do you think the agency could work harder on the other drives: bond, comprehend, defend (Nohria et al., 2008)?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Courtney, that's a great question. There are aspects of the open-book style that might help engage employees in this agency. MD mentions transparency, and that's an element that the Great Little Box company appeared to utilize, too - keeping their employees informed (Heymann & Barrera, 2010). On the other hand, from what I can tell, state agencies are guarded with the information with regard to what information is shared with employees. This would make it difficult for managers who are caught in the middle.

      Delete
  2. Marissa, I enjoyed your post a lot. MD seems like an insightful and standup manager to have, which is good for you! Yes, getting certain holidays off is awesome, but rewarding the employees trumps all. I liked it when MD said there needs to be more rewards in the form of encouragement. Hearing that you are doing a job well-done can go a very long distance.

    In reference to employees leaving for higher-paying jobs, it seems understandable if they feel like they aren't receiving due credit. However, has your agency fired individuals who cause a pain in the agency's budget? For instance, are there employees who are over-qualified and receive too much pay for the jobs they perform? Has the agency made room for younger and lower-paid individuals by firing the older and higher-paid people? I'm curious to here your response.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Thomas,

      You bring up an interesting question. There are actually a lot of people who work in my agency who are "double dippers." These individuals retire, collect their retirement, and then come back to work in the same position (often high-level). This practice is frustrating for younger workers. The strategy of making room for younger workers might be a good one for the agency. It would help keep younger employees engaged in the organization and also lower salary costs.

      Delete
  3. Marissa,

    I really liked this post, because I felt like this is something I can definitely relate to in my current organization. We are severely hampered by budget cuts as well, and I think it's created a stagnant working environment without any real employee motivation. No one is motivated to strive for excellence, because there is never any type of reward associated with it. This has created an environment where everyone has simply settled for mediocrity.

    Do you see this happening in your organization? Ultimately, money talks, so I can understand why people are leaving for higher-paying jobs. Do you think paying for performance would create a better organizational culture? Would be interested to hear your thoughts on this a little further.

    Great stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marissa - Sounds like a great conversation with MD. I wonder, have the two top performers left MD's agency for another government agency? Or have they been lured by the private sector? I would think that, in some situations, it would be hard for the government to compete with private companies when it comes to salaries since these companies don't have to "play by the rules" like the government agencies do.
    To me, compensation would fit under the "Drive to Acquire" category described by Nohria, Groysberg,and Lee (2008). As MD mentioned, an organization can attempt to compensate in the other three areas (Nohria et al., 2008), but there are no perfect substitutes for financial compensation.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Marissa,
    Thanks for sharing. I think that government employees are in some way like non-profit workers. In many cases, a simple praise went a long way just some of the non-monetary incentives mentioned by Heymann & Barrera (2010). However, I see a main difference in that non-profit workers are very mission driven which in turns motivates them, are government workers the same way?

    Adriana

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.