Monday, April 9, 2012

The Biggest Mistake You (Probably) Make with Teams - Tammy Erickson - Harvard Business Review

The Biggest Mistake You (Probably) Make with Teams - Tammy Erickson - Harvard Business Review

FYI -- I just saw this in my inbox (I get a Harvard Daily Business Alert; I'm a couple of days behind) and saw Tammy Erickson's name (She is the Tamara J. Erickson who authored "The Leaders We Need Now" in this week's reading). One interesting conclusion she found in her research on teams is a team is "more likely to collaborate if the path to achieving the goal is somewhat ambiguous." 

3 comments:

  1. Your welcome. That email alert is pretty sweet. Lots of knowledge dropping right to my inbox!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great article Al! I wished I had been able to read this at an earlier point in few months. I have always tried to be a lot of things in groups. Some worked. Some did not. I have worked under the assumption that giving a broad outline of the tasks that need to be accomplished and some specificity to role would allow people to be more free to create their own processes to arrive at the desired goal. After reading the article, I can see that this may not always be true. And I have had some fairly solid personal experience recently that is a perfect example when this way could go wrong.

    Thanks for sharing. Where do you sign up for the email alerts? And Courtney, would you know if HBR has student subscriptions? I have access to some of their material through their LinkedIn group. Love it!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.