In our previous readings and live sessions, we’ve begun
learning about organizations and their structures given a stable environment
from which to operate their businesses.
Now understanding more about Contingency Theory, we know
that especially in this very unique time in our economic history, there are
changes that can affect nearly every component of an organization. For large companies, they do not possess
completely a “pure functional structure or a pure divisional structure”
(Nohria, 2002, p. 6). Because of multiple projects and/or product lines, these endeavors/groups
may be placed over the functional structure so these groups may improve
coordination across functions.
In the March 2012 of The
Atlantic (“Why Companies Fail”), author Megan McArdle raises question of General
Motors’ recent performance post-government bailout, suggesting that despite the
promise for change (for the better) by organizations like GM, slight gains may
not be long lasting. She notes experts
who say that GM, the Big Three, the UAW (and others) have had difficulty changing
their ways to leaner, better coordinated groups:
Over the past few decades, GM’s
ability to resist change has proved
almost uncanny. Why did the company
wait so long and do so
little—not once, but time and
again—before finally falling into
bankruptcy? And what, if anything,
does that portend for its future?
The questions go beyond GM, a
company that’s hardly unique. Why did Blockbuster idly watch Netflix destroy
its business? Why did Kodak let digital cameras drive a once-mighty industrial
giant into penny-stock territory? (McArdle, 2012)
McArdle quotes various turnaround specialists (who are doing
great business these days, she adds), who say that unless the company’s crisis
is extreme and serious, its not easy to enact change (McArdle, 2012).
But turnaround experts aside, what if the companies just aren’t
made to redesigned? Certainly a person
or group may want to change. They are
given plans, incentives both abstract and concrete. But sooner or later we revert back to who we
really are, says McArdle (McArdle, 2012):
One possibility is that firms don’t
change because inertia is in their DNA—indeed,
it’s a gene that once made many of them successful. In their 1989 book, Organizational
Ecology, Michael Hannan and John Freeman argue that organizations are
actually selected for inertia by their environment, and “rarely change their
fundamental structural features.” Change is risky, after all, since it
definitionally involves doing something that isn’t already working—and even
product lines that have grown lackluster still have some customers.
Firms that are prone to frequent large changes will probably have more
opportunities to kill themselves off with bad choices than firms that resist
big changes.
It seems like a very disturbing point, where the “larger and
older the firm is, the heavier the selection for stability” (McArdle, 2012). But turnaround specialists say that its got to
be the entire company that has to really want to change.” (McArdle, 2012). I suppose it has to be a constant,
near-unanimous decision on the part of the organization’s employees. Otherwise, slipping in the competitive market
is a certainty.
REFERENCES:
McArdle, M. (2012, March). Why Companies Fail. The Atlantic. Retrieved
from
http:/www.theatlantic.com
Daft, R. (2007)
Fundamentals of Organizational Structure, “ Organization
Theory and Design. ( 9th Ed.), pp. 88-125
Nohria, N. (1991). Note on organizational structure. Boston,
MA: Harvard
Business
School Publishing
Al, GM seems to be an interesting example for many of the topics that we are covering. During the live session last week, many people said they gravitated toward contingency theory over population ecology. This is because pop ecology contends that organizations are extremely hard to change and structural inertia often leads to their downfall. The Daft chapter did, however, give us some real-life examples of successful structural changes. Besides the support of its employees, what else is needed for structural change? Microsoft (p. 106) and Englander Steel (p. 113) are some examples.
ReplyDeleteYes, I believe I omitted from my piece that GM did try a matrical structure for some of its Information Systems work about 10- 15 years ago.
ReplyDeleteI didn't find much on its recent initiatives for change, but looking at both Microsoft (divisional) and Englander (dual hierarchy matrical) examples from Daft, I would think that dual hierarchy matrical would be needed. And from what I've read, I think that GM almost needed (or need to )to put its best feet forward and commit to something that Englander did.
That commitment to a fairly long, comprehensive process wouldn't be easy, but its part of what their leadership promised, and GM's leaders and managers (especially its product line managers, once they did go matrical/dual hierarchy) are accountable to shareholders
Al, bravo! I applaud you for your video response to my assignment. It was awesome and the notecards were creative, too. You mentioned one huge point that I failed to discuss - marketing. Cisco spent a ton of money to acquire Flip, yet they didn't market it well at all. They had very cool commercials with celebrities using the handheld device, but you never saw print or online ads! They really dropped the ball on making the product appealing across more markets. I use my Flip weekly and I love it. It's sad that it couldn't stay relevant.
ReplyDeleteTo relate the Flip to your article, I think Cisco resisted change and couldn't adapt to the product's realm. They saw other companies creating cool devices (Apple) and wanted to get in the game. On the other hand, they were jumping into a sinking ship. Smartphones were being created with Flip-like innovation. Why would I want to carry two devices when I can just carry one that does the same thing?
Change is indeed risky for powerful companies. However, as the company grows with time they must realize that their market grows too and even becomes younger in certain areas. They have to adapt to the changing environment. Blockbuster actually rolled out a business model like Netflix. I have no idea how it faired though.
Great article Al, with some fantastic examples! I've been thinking this week about why so many organizations are resistant to change. I believe part of it is human nature, but after ready the well-designed organization article by Goold and Campbell, I wonder if most organizations just go about it the wrong way. The statement that really hit home for me was "First, identify five or ten major organizational changes that may be required over the next three to five years" (pg 11). Three to five years? That seems like ages! Yet, I imagine if you researched successful organizational change, it happens over time. It take me back to my personal example last week that involved a private hospital which was purchased by a larger conglomerate. The logo on the outside of the building was changed right away, but all of the other changes occurred over a five year period. This eases the strain of change and allows people to adjust at a more moderate pace.
ReplyDeleteThanks for keeping me thinking!