I recently started a new job at a fairly large full-service ad agency. Prior to this move, I had spent virtually my entire working life at a small law firm, and a single manager accounting firm. From the start of day 1 at this new job I noticed things felt different than what I was used to in a work environment. I had attributed that difference to my first venture into a large company; it wasn't until I was doing this week's reading that I realized there was more to it. My new company does things differently. It feels more modern in some respects. It is, apparently, built-to-change.
I work in the Business Affairs division as a legal clearance specialist. A lot of my job is exactly what I expected it would be: I secure talent licenses, apply disclaimers and things of that nature. What I didn't expect is how integrated, not only my division, but the entire operation is. I quickly learned the basic job functions of people in a number of different departments, including, but not limited to, the rest of business affairs, production, creative, accounts, editing and art buying. While I am in no way a specialist in what my co-workers do, the understanding I know have for all those jobs makes me better and more efficient at my job. More importantly, when dealing with a client, I am able to better assist them, and explain what is going on in more satisfactory terms, rather than have to explain what limited amount I can based on my expertise, and then pawn them off on another person who will have to do the same.
The nature of the business is short-term, team-based projects and goals. All of the employees at the agency, from the directors right through to the facility coordinators, are involved in weekly meetings where feedback and ideas are bounced off each other in an effort to capture the best and freshest perspectives on projects. One explanation given to me was that sometimes those members of the team working most closely on a given project may be so enveloped in it, that they don't even have time to see competitors' takes on similar projects, or sources which may provide inspiration for new ideas. Everyone is encouraged to provide ideas and feedback. I have not been told this, but I assume this type of "all hands on deck" meeting also allows upper management to identify employees with a lot of potential, regardless of whether they are pitching ideas to clients or restocking printers with paper.
I didn't think much of it during the interview process, but there were a lot of questions directed toward my attitude regarding sticking to "my job function" and also about my interest in learning the business as a whole. It is clear from this week's reading that those questions are pertinent to a company that values employees who are willing to adapt as need be (this requires and overall understanding and disregard for strict adherence to a single job function). Now that I recognize how unique my company is, I am even happier to have taken this job.
Jack,
ReplyDeleteWhat a neat organization to work for! It reminds me of my very first job out of undergrad working for a manufacturing company. Every employee in the company, no matter their position, spent their first week in training. There were two days on the assembly line, a day in the order fill room, two days with customer service and then the final day at your own desk. This provided every employee with a full understanding of every facet of the company. Customer service was able to better address questions about an items functionality because they had worked on the assembly line and could relate to the product, pieces and function. It was, by far, the most worthwhile training I have experienced.
The organization was not, however, built-to-change the way yours is. After the training period, there was little contact with those in the other operational divisions. I wonder how the organization might have grown had they adopted different ideals - such as the “all hands on deck” meeting that your company has.
Obviously your company has a strong focus on the managing talent component of a built-to-change organization (Worley & Lawler, 2006). I wonder if the reward system, decision processes and organization structure also fit within the model. When reading the article by Worley and Lawler, I wondered if long-standing organizations must pick and choose pieces of the built-to-change model because incorporating every component may create an environment of instability. I think Worley and Lawler would refute this point, saying that built-to-change does not equate to instability. It is still a hard concept for me to grasp in its entirety.
Thanks for sharing your personal experience!
Interesting post, Jack. I see your company manages talent in the way that Worley and Lawler (2006) would recommend. The authors write, "When hiring people, built-to-change organizations seek individuals who like change and are quick learners" (p. 19). It seems that when you were interviewed, your organization saw these same qualities in you.
ReplyDeleteI would have liked to hear additional specifics from the readings that you see represented in your current organization. Have you noticed that the company's reward system is built to facilitate and encourage change? What about the organizational structure and the types of leadership?
(Note: I wrote this comment without reading Brenda's, but I see now that we hit many of the same points. Love it when that happens.)
Jack,
ReplyDeleteThis post was really interesting to me as well. In a built-to-change organization like yours, I think there's a point that kind of gets lost in the shuffle.
You touched on the fact that you now have at least a general understanding of what the majority of positions within your company do, and how this has helped you become better able to assist customers. I would also assume it has made you a better coworker as well.
I have found in my brief work experience that the more you understand about different people's jobs within your company, the more you understand what they go through. What the tough months are for them during the year, how long it generally takes them to complete a certain task, or even how you doing something a certain way might inconvenience them. Having this knowledge in turn makes you a better coworker, and increases the harmony within the organization's walls. This is a great byproduct of the built-to-change organization, and I'm wondering if you've seen any of that in your new company? I'd be really interested to hear your thoughts on this, because I think it's a way that an organization becomes more efficient and reaches its goals that no one has talked about yet.
Very interesting post, I enjoyed it!
Hey Jack,
ReplyDeleteLoved reading about your company. I am now fascinated with built-to-change organizations. It si intriguing to know that they implement this strutter beginning with the interview process. That alone speaks volumes about their commitment. The weekly feedback ad brainstorm meetings seem to be key components in how they continue to grow and change. Is there actually honest dialogue across all levels or the organization in these meetings, and do they have tangible results?
Thanks for sharing. Awesome post.
~LaVenia